Category: Bike De'Lights, Event
LET’S STAY IN WHERE IT’S WARM!
All, Saturday is looking like a potentially dangerous situation. Current forecast shows ambient temperature around 0 degrees at the start time with wind chills around -20, and ambient temp falling throughout the night. Your safety is our primary concern, and we just can’t encourage people to ride in conditions like this. Frostbite onset at these temperatures can be as soon as 10 minutes, and a small mechanical issue or complication may leave someone in the cold too long.
All that said, we have a great evening planned, so the event is NOT cancelled, it’s just changing from a bike ride to an indoor festival, raffle, and bike decoration contest at Bancroft Street Market. Here’s the details!
6-6:15pm – Gather, setup bikes for judging*
6:15-7:00pm – Voting for best decorated bike, buy raffle tickets
7:00pm – Volunteer award and recognition, decoration award, and raffle drawing
7:30pm-9:00pm – Mingling time
- The first 100 hot drinks from Tap Dancers Coffee (hot chocolate, tea, and coffee courtesy of Bancroft Street Market).
- Volunteer of the year award – Caps off to all of our amazing volunteers. We’ll honor the folks who helped out at our events! (And they get a free raffle ticket for each hour volunteered!)
- RAFFLE!** – We’ll have over $1000 in prizes divided into 4 prize packs. Raffle tickets will be available for purchase for $5 each or 5 for $20. Cash and cards accepted. Each pack contains an annual pass to Heartland B-cycle and other donated goods from local bike shops!
- Enter your decorated bike in the best decorated bike contest!
- Add string lights, garland, a giant yard ornament, or whatever you like! In the spirit of the event, the only requirement is that the bike should be rideable. (meaning wheels and cranks must spin and such)
- Everyone will be given 3 tokens for voting. You may vote all tokens on bike or split them up as you see fit. The person with the most tokens will win the Jolly Roller Award! (We’ll have a custom-made stainless steel trophy fabricated for you, oh yeah!) You’ll also get some donated prizes!
The ride is officially canceled. Persons choosing to ride do so at their own risk. The route will not be marked, and no support stops will be offered. Sorry!!
**Volunteers need not be present to win, however holder of purchased ticket must be present to win. All proceeds go to Omaha Bikes general funds.