Category: Advocacy, Bicycle Friendly Destination, Bike Shop, Community, Event, Events, Get Involved, How to Help | Tags: bicycles, bikes, donate, giving tuesday, omaha bikes
Today is Giving Tuesday, and Omaha Bikes can use your support today, tomorrow, and in the future. As we approach our ‘off season’ for events, we focus on community impact, planning for 2017, and our favorite signature event: Bike De’Lights! Make sure an join us for an evening enjoying of holiday decorated bicycles and enjoying our festive city by bike!
2016 is a landmark year for Omaha Bikes. This year we accomplished the following:
- Secured funding to expand event bike parking
- Hired first employee since 2014 reorganization
- Increased bicycle event parking equipment to over 200 bike capacity
- Increased bicycle valet parking from 2 to 10 events
- Saved over 700,000 kg of emissions with event parking
- Advocated for improved bike trail closure process
- Hosted the first Omaha Bike Congress
- Guaranteed maintenance agreements for 20 new Bike Fixit stations in 2017
- Cranksgiving – Coordinated with local bike shops to deliver 1000 lbs of supplies to the Siena/Francis House by bike!
- Secured bike safety education in Metro Transit bus driver training curriculum
As we look to 2017, our goals are set even higher:
- Continue current programs
- Expand bike event parking to 15 events
- Expand event parking equipment by 50%
- Expand permanent bike parking rack program to entire metropolitan area
- Represent Omaha at the National Bike Summit
- Guarantee bicycle event parking requirements for events
- Update website with bike valet integration
- Create and implement comprehensive bicycle education to all road users
- Provide funding for children’s bike safety education
- Expand Bicycle-Friendly Destination program
- Secure maintenance agreements for and repair existing Bike Fixit stations
To accomplish our 2017 plan, we have applied for over $60,000 in grants from area foundations. Many of these would be awarded shortly after the first of the year, but there’s no guarantee. Even with full grant funding, we will still be short on general operating expenses. With our current funds near depletion, we need your help to continue our mission.
If you can’t give today, please consider Omaha Bikes and many of your favorite charities this season.
You can support us in many ways, and your donations are tax-deductible!
On a personal note:
To Omaha Bikes’ Board of Directors, thank you for making this year possible. I don’t know where I’d be without your leadership, confidence, and guidance.
To the amazing group of volunteers, your passion for bicycling is incredible. Thank you enduring the hot sun, pouring rain, and all the other battles of the elements!
Many thanks to partnering organizations for your support and encouragement.
Thank you to all of you for making this year the most amazing year yet!